Saturday 9 May 2009

Captains Log

It's tough to keep a blog going because you should have something to say rather than just writing tat for the purposes of self discipline. I have violated this rule by having nothing to say andalso waiting 4 days to say it. 

Actually I have loads to say but when I log in here I forget all of it. I need to write down the things I'm going to blog somewhere. In some kind of diary. Or log. Maybe an electronic log. When will someone invent such a thing?

Actually they already have. Is the log of Captain James T Kirk not such a thing? And everything on Star Trek ends up in real life (Or even in REALLIFE). You can now get a phone that looks like an old fashioned star trek communicator. It even makes the right noises. 

Will have to go and see the new star trek movie. Just to see if they really have kept the proper sounds. The Fssshht of the doors to the USS Enterprise bridge is one of my favourite noises. 

On the subject of New England, someone was stabbed the other day in broad daylight outside the Blue Lagoon pub (which used to be the Scotch Corner). Stabbed in the head as well - evil. Evil really is banal. No one strokes a cat whilst plotting in real life. There are no baddies like in Star Trek who want something really quite obscure - and could be mistaken for well meaning but just ridiculously powerful and deluded -  like to be able to right a misperceived wrong by going back in time. They just do something vicious because their own pride and selfishness has no boundaries. Respect for other people is the starting point for good. 

My new friend Richard Herring is growing a small oblong moustache. For charity. Having had some experience of growing moustaches for charity I applaud his effort. I just wish he wouldn't call the moustache after one of it's more controversial wearers, Adolf Hitler. He should be reclaiming that style of moustache for posterity; for the people!! Yeah!. 

It will take a long time though. Many Germans still can't name their kids Adolf. And it's such a nice big goofy sounding name, if you can get past the image of one particularly snitty little weasel owner who never got his own way and respected no ones boundaries and did whatever he wanted because his pride was hurt. I refuse to give Hitler any kind of evil genius bond villain style credit. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Snitty little gits triumph because they won't take no for an answer and quite a few people stand to gain from letting them get on with it. I watched the movie of Graham Greenes brilliant Brighton Rock the other day, with Richard Attenborough playing Pinkie. The Pinkie character is a 17 year old self made gangster in the interwar years and manages to make older wiser men do his bidding only because he has no boundaries, and they do. Highly recommend the film or the book, not just as a character study and for Dickies brilliant acting, but because Brighton escaped much of the Luftwaffes attention, you can retrace the steps of the charcters to this day in brighton if you like, as you can with bits of Quadrophenia. I'm a Sussex lad at heart, despite being born in Hants, workling in London and living in Cambridgeshire.

I showed Tony a bit of Borough Market where they filmed Lock Stock when we were on the way to the Roxy to watch the football. I like the fact that I know my way around London. When I retire I'm going to be a tour guide and tell incredible porkies to American old ladies. 

Update: Speaking of Brighton, that's the hometown of iTunes free single of the week to download. Band called The Mummers - Bjork-like. Check it

4 comments:

  1. I heard a thing on the radio the other week about how they made the fssshht sound. It was a completely mundane thing, something to do with paper, but annoyingly I've forgotten what it was. I'll let you know if it comes back to me, but if you find a R4 programme on iplayer about either Star Trek or sound effects, it'll be in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Stevie - I'm not a trekker I must emphasise. I just like the noises on Star trek... for a ringtone maybe. Just be sorting the Lad out with how to trim MP3 files to use as ringtones. He selected the intro bars of Chemical Brothers Galvanize. Good choice. I'm a bit envious. I may nick it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. There were some great sounds. Anyway, I just remembered! Close your eyes, blow across the edge of an envelope and be transported. Not teleported, I hasten to add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this. It sounded like a mouse fart. Must be technique. Is circular breathing required? I mostly breathe through my mouth (often whilst staring out of the bus window)

    ReplyDelete

    follow me on Twitter